It is April 1 and a wonderful day to start a Healthy Together program. The South Vancouver Family Place in Vancouver BC did just that…they brought together 38 families and introduced a healthy snack of hummus, pita and veggies on beautiful sunny day! Everyone was outside digging in the garden and playing in the sandbox. Many people tried hummus for the first time…some had never had chick peas before. They are going to offer Healthy Together for families in one of their play-based family support programs. We can’t wait to see what exciting activities and learning this group enjoys in the coming weeks. Here is a recipe for Hummus if you want to try making and eating this with your family;
- 1 can chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 Tbsp sesame tahini
- 1 tsb sea salt
- Open can of chickpeas and pour out some of the liquid into a cup and set liquid aside for later
- Pour chickpeas into a blender with the lemon juice, garlic, tahini and olive oil
- Blend, add salt to taste
- If hummus is too thick then add some of the water you set aside in step 1 and blend again until you get the right consistency
- Enjoy with fresh veggie sticks or pita chips
There is a fun video of a young child making this recipe here;
We have 15 new Healthy Together programs running across Canada starting today…we are very excited to enjoy the journey towards health with each of these programs.
Watch for our introductions in the next two weeks…we will tell you a little bit about each organization as we welcome everyone to the Healthy Together program.